Thursday, March 19, 2009

I have lived my art this week... I am a transformed, destroyed, and emerging new being as a result of this project. What an interesting week!! I went to Tilden on Sat. afternoon to collect some sticks to make the final pieces for the installation. Came home and spent a few hours putting them together before heading to bed. Little did I know that I would wake in the morning transformed. The sticks turned out to be old dead poison oak shoots. My face and arms were of another world. To make a long story short, I had to go to the emergency room twice in the following 3 days for medication and steriod shots. This is the first time that I have been even slightly able to do something productive this week, and even now I am heavily sedated with benedryl... What a project - I plaster myself, prepared to put myself on display and then end up transforming my actual body into a painful, horrible, swollen blister - whew... Will be interesting to process this when I get my head on straight... but for now, bed and dreams...

3 comments:

  1. oh my! glad you are alright. i've had poison ivy and poison oak many times and it is NOT fun. anyway, i like the magical frame you see all this through! hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow...

    aside from the sheer agony you had to go through it really seems like an appropriate adjunct to you project...steroid shots! wow...i wish you a speedy recovery...if you can't make it on saturday (which i am assuming is the case!)...you will be missed........

    O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and again, in response to the work you intended to express "joy"...wow, your final piece became a Buddha meditating on both extremes. i was esp. impressed with your work with the video camera, strong eye for finding the "abstractions" in reality, perfect juxtaposition on the white form. great work, all in all.

    ReplyDelete