Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wow - it has been an amazing week of plastering! It is such a weird process to make myself and then put myself together. And each morning when I wake up, I see myself sitting on the table, a little more complete than the day before. Today, waking up, there I sat, completed - with an expression and gesture of awe and amazement in my position. When I walk through the room "I" am sitting in, I sometimes forget that it is just a plaster form. It sometimes startles me, sometimes makes me smile, sometimes gives me a lift, sometimes makes me proud. My roommates have had similar reactions - enjoying coming home from work each day to find a new part has been attached. Amazingly, they haven't even minded the mess the process made. In fact, one of my roommates said she was so glad that I did it at home so she could see the whole thing.

What a great metaphor for relationships!! It's amazing how much people just like to be involved in the process of growth - sometimes helping, sometimes just witnessing. They appreciate it and are inspired by it. There is no need to even be afraid of the mess it makes sometimes (of course I have really good roommates!) It's just been so nice to have the whole day to create and then to have my friends come home and enjoy the process with me!

As much time and detail it has taken (and it's been rather a lot of both) - it has been an amazing process. I am very interested now in the showing of myself to you all ... and then to the community. Kinda scary, kinda exciting, kinda wonderful!

3 comments:

  1. interesting to think of you dwelling in the same house with your piece as a form of coexisting/cohabiting/sitting with yourself. the process of your work seems as important as the final product, and cool to witness too.
    -c

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was cool to hear about your roommates appreciating the process...i once had a drum set and my roommates loved it when i practiced you can't get more cool than that...well maybe plaster dust would be a close second....

    but........it is great to be able to share the creative process with those that are receptive....

    your piece turned out great and i am looking forward to the final presentation.......

    cheers........O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are making me laugh, remembering my plaster "self" sitting on the kitchen table, arms and legs akimbo! i like ck's comment, will be cool for you to keep yourself around, after the show and see how you feel. very cool!

    ReplyDelete